How To Change A Baby’s Diaper Without Any Fuss
- By Abhinav
- May 6, 2021
Learning how to change a baby’s diaper is as important as feeding your little one. For a new parent, the task of changing your newborn’s diaper might seem daunting but it doesn’t have to be. Once you’ve done it a few times, it’ll be as easy as any other baby care task.
And before you do start learning how to change diapers/nappies, there are a few things you should know.
What To Know Before Diapering
Diaper rash is probably the most common issue with diapering your baby. And it’s good to look out for the signs, symptoms and causes of a diaper rash so you can keep your little one safe and fuss free.
- Signs & symptoms of a diaper rash
- Baby is grimacing – When your tiny tot is looking cranky and restless
- Red bumps on the skin – Tiny red bumps or swellings on the skin around the inner thighs or diaper area (sometimes you might find a rash spreading to the tummy too)
- Loss of appetite – Because of the irritation, your baby might experience a loss of appetite
- Causes of a diaper rash
- Sensitive skin – Some babies have skin that is extremely sensitive
- Not changing diapers on time – When a baby’s diaper is soiled and it isn’t changed for an uncomfortably long time
- Eating new foods – Another common challenge is when you introduce your baby to solids
- Diapers/nappies material – Certain plastic based materials might cause irritation
- How to prevent diaper rash
- Change the diaper/nappy regularly – It’s important to periodically check and change your baby’s diaper/nappies
- Dry the bottom – Dry your baby’s bottom by placing him/her on an absorbent pad/blanket and airing out
- Choose the right diaper/nappies – Materials like organic muslin will be highly absorbent, ultra-soft and safe for your baby’s skin
- What you’ll need for diapering
- Diapers or Nappies – Once you’ve found the right diaper or nappy, stock up on them
- Wipes – To clean your baby’s bottom, you’ll need wipes
- Diaper ointment – A simple petroleum jelly based ointment is recommended for a diaper rash but do consult your pediatrician
- Diaper pad – If you can’t find a changing pad, you can use a towel or a blanket
Step-by-step guide for diapering or putting nappies
Keep in mind that you need to keep all the items, surfaces and your hands clean and sterilised. Once you have everything you need, just follow these simple steps.
Step 1 – Lay your baby down on a clean, flat surface. Lay your baby down on his/her back on a blanket / pad and remove the used diaper.
Step 2 – Clean & dry your baby. Use a wipe or a washcloth to clean your baby’s bottom gently (remember to wipe front to back) and then pat it dry. Let him/her be aired out for a few minutes.
Step 3 – Apply ointment or cream. Before closing the diaper/nappies, use any products your doctor has recommended for rashes.
Step 4 – Dress the baby. Gently lift your baby’s feet by the ankles and slide in a clean new diaper / nappy. Strap him/her in but make sure it’s not tight.
Step 5 – Wash your hands. Now that you’re done, dispose of the soiled diaper/nappies properly (if you’re using a reusable muslin cloth nappy, then put for wash) and wash your hands thoroughly.
Important Diapering Tips
- Consult your pediatrician if your baby’s diaper rash doesn’t clear up after a few days. And if your baby looks like he/she is in pain, call right away.
- Avoid food serving areas. Never change or leave a dirty diaper where food is prepared or eaten.
- Keep one hand on your baby. This helps your baby stay safe when you’re looking away or reaching for a clean diaper.
Best Choice For Nappies
Picking out the right diaper or nappy might seem a bit strenuous but worry not, as we have a few great choices for you so you may rest easy. No plastic
Why We Love It
Not only is it made out of organic muslin fabric but it is ultra-soft & anti-allergenic. It is highly absorbent and it keeps humidity away! No more fussing or diaper rash!
The same ultra-soft, organic muslin stuffed, highly absorbent and safe on skin nappy, but in a pack of 3! And gorgeously designed!
If you would like to browse through more amazing options to pick the right nappy for your baby, head on over to BeeLittle.in.